Open Storage – Is it Smart?
- Read assigned articles and be prepared to discuss whether or not you think open storage is a good idea
- Google "Museum Open Storage" select "Images" and browse. Be prepared to discuss
Read the online article regarding the Philadelphia Museum of Art storage project. Pick one topic related to the project that you would like to focus on in detail, be prepared to discuss why you think it is an important aspect of storage and how you think that the PMA handled it.
Note: Make sure to click on and read each tab on the webpage
- Introduction & History
- Storage Survey
- Design Process
- The Move
From there follow the link for the following category Archival Products
- Select an archival materials supplier website from the list
- Be prepared to answer the following questions:
- How successfully do you think the supplier uses its website to sell its product?
- How easy is it for you to navigate to different products, determine their details and prices
- What do you think is the focus of this supplier?
- Include any additional comments, impressions or questions you may have about the supplier in general
- Be prepared to discuss the supplier and answer your classmates' questions
- Based on the discussions this week, prepare 3 questions in advance about the museum we will visit and discuss your findings (answers to your questions) with the class
- Read assigned case study and be prepared to discuss
Case Study: The Preparation of Condition Reports for Costume and Textiles at the Los Angeles County Museum of Art
by Catherine C. McLean and Susan R. Schmalz